The other day, I was browsing at HomeGoods and I saw some mercury glass lamps. I found the one below online for 198 pounds. I'm not sure what that is in dollars, but its out of my budget nonetheless.
So, I thought of the lamps in my basement that I'd been intending to paint or replace. They were once brass and I painted them to this rusty finish and replaced the old shades.
So, I thought of the faux mercury glass pumkins from the DIY Showoff and got busy. Here is the result ...
I didn't get the shiny glass finish because the previous paint was textured, but they still turned out better than before. To be perfectly honest, this was a little tricky for me. Getting the mottled effect involved layering the paint, sometimes not shaking the can so that the paint wasn't mixed and it was splotchy. I loved the brown shade in the first picture, but since these are for our basement family room, I went with white instead.
My corner cabinet arrives tomorrow. Finished bathroom pictures will follow soon thereafter!